Tuesday, September 10, 2013

EDUC 630 Blog 2


This is my reflection on useful web resources as a kindergarten teacher and student in education. Enjoy!

BrainPOP - Animated Educational Site for Kids - Science, Social Studies, English, Math, Arts . (n.d.). BrainPOP - Animated Educational Site for Kids - Science, Social Studies, English, Math, Arts . Retrieved September 10, 2013, from http://brainpop.com.

BrainPOP Jr. - K-3 Educational Movies, Quizzes, Lessons, and More!. (n.d.). BrainPOP Jr. - K-3 Educational Movies, Quizzes, Lessons, and More!. Retrieved September 10, 2013, from http://brainpopjr.com.

Graphite | The best apps, games, websites, and digital curricula rated for learning. (n.d.). Graphite | The best apps, games, websites, and digital curricula rated for learning. Retrieved September 10, 2013, from http://graphite.org.

Welcome to Discovery Education | Digital textbooks and standards-aligned educational resources . (n.d.). Discovery Education | Digital textbooks and standards-aligned educational resources . Retrieved September 10, 2013, from http://discoveryeducation.com.

Welcome to Twitter. (n.d.). Twitter. Retrieved September 10, 2013, from https://twitter.com.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Tai,

    Thank you for your information. Here is my video response. Thanks, and have a great day.

    https://vimeo.com/74386167

    Serving in Christ,
    Thomas Walls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas--
      Thanks so much for getting back to me. I will be sure to check out Windows Movie Maker more in depth as you suggested. Thank you so much! --Tai

      PS: I can't imagine going from kindergarten to high school--that must have been quite a change.

      Delete
  2. Tai,

    I appreciated your blog post. It was neat watching your video describe your favorite things for teaching and education. I found it intriguing that you used Brain Pop almost every day in your classroom. I have heard that the Brain Pop website offers lessons and then quizzes that have critical thinking and summary questions. I bet your kindergarten students absolutely love it! I’m guessing that you have some sort of interactive board. You also reminded me of the Discovery Website. I’ve been able to use several of the educational videos from that website. My students have appreciated a small break from the usual lecture style for note-taking.

    I hope you have a great school year!

    Ashley Eriksen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley--Thank you so much for your feedback. I actually used BrainPopJr today to review shapes (which I taught last week) and paused the video at certain points to let the students discuss the shapes and what they remembered from last week--they loved it and it was really successful. I am going to try using the summary and critical thinking aspect tomorrow. --Tai

      Delete
  3. Tai,

    We shared some of the web resources. I love brain pop videos. I think they are a great way to teach information to students. I use them a lot in my History class. I like how they are short and to the point. Its also hopeful that they all come with activities and questions, and definitions. I have often taught an entire lesson from one brain pop video. We defined terms first, watched the video, answered the questions having kids come up to the smartboard, and I broke them into groups to complete the activities. Its nice to have all that in one place. I also using united streaming for my class. I like some of their videos and resources but some are often very dated and boring. That site is hit or miss for me. The more I have been teaching I have found that their are more entertaining and engaging videos on you tube or other places the hard part is knowing that the exist. Thanks again for a good post.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis--Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate knowing that teachers at a higher level use BrainPop (instead of the Jr version) to teach as well! With United Streaming, I find that a lot of the content is dated as well, and my students get distracted by clothing instead of paying attention to the content. I like to use Youtube, but struggle with it sometimes because of all of the advertisements. Do you have a suggestion about how to get rid of them? Thanks--Tai

      Delete